Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Felix is Feisty!


Today we got to check up on Felix with our 12 week ultrasound! Shawn was able to join me for this appointment as well. I am so thankful his work is supportive of him taking time off to experience these special moments.

I have been anxiously awaiting this appointment for weeks. I have had no morning sickness and many of the other symptoms that I had have been subsiding. I know this is normal as you approach the end of your first trimester, but I still need the reassurance of a healthy ultrasound to calm my nerves. Today, I got just that.

As soon as the tech placed the ultrasound wand on my belly, it was clear - there is a baby growing in there!
And not just growing... waving, kicking and flipping. That's why I say he is feisty. It was so cute to see him moving around and having a ball. He was so active and full of life. We got to hear the heartbeat too - beating away at 152 bpm.

They measured him at about 7cm or 2.75 inches. So right now he's about the size of a peach. I've read that over the next 3 weeks he will grow to 5 inches! Watch out because my waistband is going to be growing right along with him! No real baby bump to report right now, but stay tuned.

By the way, I know I am referring our little fetus as a "He" but that's really just to avoid saying "It". Since we have chosen the name "Felix the Fetus" I am going to refer to Felix as a him for convenience. We are still planning to keep the gender a surprise. The doctor today asked if we wanted his prediction on the gender which was shocking at 12 weeks! He said that at 12 wks they are 80% accurate. We politely declined his offer, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to know what he was thinking.

All in all, it was a fantastic morning. My next appointment is in two weeks to meet the midwife who will hopefully be the one to deliver our baby. Thanks for being part of our journey to parenthood.

Love,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment