Thursday, November 8, 2012

Eli: The First 6 Weeks

Where do I even begin?! It's been a while since my last post but I believe you all understand why ;) Having Eli home has been the most amazing time in our lives, but it has left us with little time (or energy!) for anything else. These days we are finding our groove and getting into a routine.

Sleep. The big question we keep getting is how much sleep we are getting. The longest Eli has slept at night is 5 hours; that has happened twice. Most nights we get two 4 hours stretches of sleep. Fortunately for us, Eli is great about going to sleep at night. He wakes, feeds and goes back to sleep without a fuss. Our struggle comes more with putting him down for daytime naps. He does not like sleeping during the day and usually cries himself to sleep. Although he has been getting better, at least during the last week.

Eating. I am breastfeeding which has been very rewarding and challenging. I love our feeding sessions, even the middle of the night ones because its our little bonding time. We introduced Eli to the bottle (expressed breast milk) at 4 weeks. He doesn't love the bottle but he is doing well drinking milk from it. I haven't been away from Eli for more than an hour and a half yet, but that's bound to change soon and we want him to be ready.

Playing. My favorite time of the day is Eli's playtime. Right now, we are alternating between 3 activities: his owl mobile, his floormat w/ tummy time and his rocker. From last week to this week, playtime has transformed. He is smiling in response to things, kicking his legs and reaching out at objects. Each day, brings something new that he is doing.  I just can't wait to see what he does next :)

Here's a little video with highlights from Eli's first 6 weeks. It's amazing how in such a short time it feels like he is the puzzle piece that was always missing... Love him to pieces!!




No comments:

Post a Comment